Faith-Based Respite Care
Being a caregiver for a loved one with Alzheimer’s or other dementia is one of the toughest roles on the planet. Many caregivers will reach their breaking point without ever asking for help. The good news is, respite care is made for the caregivers ─ and their loved ones. While the caregiver gets some relief, the loved one is purposefully occupied with fun, supervised activities provided by trained volunteers in a faith-based setting. Faith-based communities have a long history of supporting family caregivers through respite and have become a sensible alternative to costly respite providers. Churches provide the ideal, secure, often familiar and welcoming setting for respite care programs allowing caregivers a much needed break from their responsibilities.
Who We Serve
Participants in the program are persons living with Alzheimer’s disease or other dementias, and cared for at home. Participants are pre-screened and pre-registered. Faith-based respite care is not a drop-in program.
How We Serve
- Programs are held once per month for a four-hour period
- Supervision and activities are provided by trained, qualified volunteers
- Programs are based on a social model rather than medical
- Activities include: games, exercise, crafts, music, etc.
- Nutritious meal provided
- Programs are FREE, however free-will donations are accepted
Our Faith-Based Respite Programs
- Hope Center of LeRoy: Offered from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. the second Wednesday of each month at the Hope Center of LeRoy, 42 Main St., Le Roy. To register your loved one for this program, contact Melinda Stedman, LMSW, at [email protected].*
- OPEN DOOR @ Orchard Park Presbyterian Church: Offered from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. the second Tuesday of each month at OPPC, 4369 S. Buffalo St., Orchard Park. To register your loved one for the program, contact Sherry Pomeroy at (716) 662-9348 ext. 309 or [email protected].*
- Immaculate Conception Church Ransomville: Offered from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. the second Thursday of each month at the church, 4671 Townline Road, Ransomville, beginning Thursday, Sept. 12. To register your loved one, please contact Laurie Muth at 731-4822 ext.103 or [email protected].*
- Indian Falls United Methodist Church: Offered from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. the third Wednesday of each month at the church, 7908 Alleghany Road, Corfu. To register your loved one, please contact Celinda McQuestion at (585) 478-8188.
- Christ Chapel Wesleyan Church: Offered from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. the third Saturday of each month at the church, 60 Buffalo St., Silver Creek. To register your loved one, please contact Beth Bayba at (716) 934-3725 or [email protected].*
*Indicates this respite program is funded through a grant from the Ralph C. Wilson Jr. Legacy Fund Community Foundation of Greater Buffalo.